Question
Posted by: brenda | 2010-11-26

stomach ulcers

Ive been diagnosed with stomach ulcers and would like to know which diet to follow as in what to eat and what not to eat

Dear Brenda
I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with stomach ulcers. I trust that the doctor who diagnosed your ulcers is treating you with so-called proton pump inhibitors (Zantac, or Losec, etc). If not, please return to the dr and ask him/her to prescribe the necessary medication. Heartburn, acid reflux and also stomach ulcers, are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this give the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from ulcers because this would mean that the patient practically always has some food in her stomach to prevent acid erosion. Try to split up your main meals into 2 smaller meals each. If you suffer from ulcers, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is too difficult, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you pinpoint trigger foods and work out a diet that avoids them. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and ulcers is stress. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

3
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-11-26

Dear Brenda

Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-11-26

Dear Brenda

Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-11-26

Dear Brenda