Question
Posted by: Posh | 2008-11-13

Stomach Ulcers

Hi There
My question is as follows  
My 81 yera old grandmother is suffering from Stomach ulcers, end she is in excruciating pain everyday. her condotion has also gotten worse as she has just been diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer, recently.

I would like your advise on what diet should she be on , what kind of foods should she/not be eating. She has lost a lot of weight and has no power due to her not eating as she scould not swallow due to the cancer.
Please advise.

Dear Posh
I am so sorry to hear that your beloved Gran is so ill and in such pain. I cannot prescribe a diet for your Gran over the Internet, but if it is at all possible, I would urge you to immediately contact a dietitian so that she/he can help you with the correct liquid feeds. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. Alternately contact your nearest hospitals and ask them to assist you with finding a dietitian who will prescribe liquid feeds and assess if you Gran needs to be fed by nasogastric tube.
Wishing you and your family all the very best.