Question
Posted by: michelle | 2010-12-10

Stomach Ulcer Diet

Hi Doc,

My fiance has a stomach ulcer. We have been looking everywhere for the correct diet he should follow. Do you maybe know of any websites we can visit because we don''t really trust every side on the internet. Hope you can help.

Michelle

Dear Michelle
I am sorry to hear that your fiance has been diagnosed with stomach ulcers. I trust that the doctor who diagnosed his ulcers is treating him with so-called proton pump inhibitors (Zantac, or Losec, etc). If not, he needs to return to the dr and ask him/her to prescribe the necessary medication. Heartburn, acid reflux and also stomach ulcers, are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this give the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from ulcers because this would mean that the patient practically always has some food in his stomach to prevent acid erosion. He should try to split up his main meals into 2 smaller meals each. If he suffers from ulcers, he will have to experiment with the foods he eats that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and he will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If he find that this is too difficult, then he should please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help him pinpoint trigger foods and work out a diet that avoids them. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and ulcers is stress. To relieve stress I would recommend that he should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-12-10

Dear Michelle