Posted by: mb | 2009-04-07

Stomach ulcer

I suspect I have a stomach ulcer. I went to my GP last year with some symptoms which he diagnosed as " probably a stomach ulcer" , so he put me on Nexiam for 6 weeks and said if that didn' t clear it up I' d have to go back and swallow a camera.

The Nexiam worked, but I now have the same symptoms again - burning pain in my stomach and a dull ache in my lower back  worse at night, better once I' ve eaten something.

My local GP can' t see me until next week - is there something over the counter I can take in the mean time that lowers the acid production in my stomach?

Also, I' ve been doing some research, and I' ve read in several different sources that red wine is apparently good for ulcers - is this true? One of the reasons why I have the ulcer, I think, is because of the fact that I get frequent headaches and take headache tablets - what kinds of painkillers are " safe"  to use in terms of not aggitating the mucus lining of the intestines?

Appreciate any feedback!!

Dear mb
Any alcohol, tobacco, irritant foods (curry, vinegar etc) are not good for ulcers. You can use Zantac 75 and Mucaine until you see your doctor next week. Dolorol Forte/Panado are safest for headache if you have a sensitive stomach. It may be good to go for the gastroscopy ( swallowing the camera) - it is not that bad, they use a flexible tube with a tiny optic fibre camera to look into the stomach, most doctors do it under a light sedation although it can be done awake too. It is not painful at all, a bit uncomfortable because they blow some gas into your stomach to see better, but it is over in less than 5 minutes.