Question
Posted by: zeecee | 2010-02-06

STOMACH PROBLEMS

I have adopted a -|- er spaniel.He is lively and energetic. His diet consists of Dog pellets( bobtail) and husky chunks in gravy and a bobtail powder gravy. He has started eating grass which he vomits, his stomach was bloated but this has gone down a now. However his tummy is making very loud rumbling noises. He is crying ,moaning or wincing . I am worried that there is something very wrong with him.How do I manage this , please help?

Dear zeecee

I would start with a decent diet. Go to a vetshop and get some protexin and some decent food.

10
Posted by: Chill | 2010-02-09

Well maybe... but digestive systems need roughage too - it' s not just a waste.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Joe @ Chill | 2010-02-09

Obviously not, but it DOES indicate that more of what goes into the dog is nutritious and not inedible junk.

Reply to Joe @ Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2010-02-08

C' mon, Joe - is ' fewer landmines'  the criterion on which to base a choice of dogfood?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Joe | 2010-02-08

Wuma Dog Food is my first choice. It' s kinda expensive, but the payoff is in your dog farting less and leaving fewer, and more manageable, " landmines"  on your lawn.

Reply to Joe
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-02-08

Dear zeecee

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: carrie | 2010-02-06

you need to see a vet as he may have a bowel obstruction. all the best :)

Reply to carrie
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010-02-06

Right there Chill. I also thought the food might be too rich but seeing it was whining I thought it could be more sinister. Anyway vet would advise which pellets to use for senstive stomach etc etc. There are literally hudreds there. MIne are on Ultradog and besides not eating very well at the moment because it is so hot, it suits them all. Cats are also not so keen on food (they only get 1 Lucky Pet thing between 13 of them) mostly because of a treat but my older ones are getting skinny and yes they are all on Hills.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Chill | 2010-02-06

Apart from what you' ve already been advised: it sounds to me like his diet is too rich - he doesn' t need chunks AND wet food AND gravy, plus both the chunks and the wet stuff is already flavoured.

Rather get him a better brand of dry dogfood, and stick to that - if you want, give him some other stuff (occasionally, not all the time!) as a treat.

Most of the time, we pump our pets full of stuff we think might be nice, without letting their nutritional needs and welfare be the guide. Just because in our minds, eating plain old chunks all the time would be boring as hell, we somehow feel we are short-changing our pets by giving them that - but that is not the truth. Find a good quality brand that the dog likes, and then stick with that - you' ll see that he' ll do very well.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010-02-06

Sorry I sounded a bit snotty there. But in one sentence you say he is " lively and energetic"  then the next moment you say " he is crying, moaning or wincing"  iow not a happy camper. It is week-end now and your vet will be open until lunchtime (or maybe the whole day if you live in a big city) but please take him for a check-up. There might indeed be something very wrong with him and rather safe than sorry.
Good luck.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010-02-06

Like Chill always says: PHONE.YOUR.VET. or take.pet.to.vet.

Reply to Cat Lady