Question
Posted by: Mary | 2009/10/23

Stomach problems

Hi Dite Doc, I am having sever stomach problems. I have always been prone to constipation but have been taking Colon Cleanse (only fibre, no laxatives) for ages for it. However, for the past two/ three weeks it is as if nothing happens I literally went twice in two weeks and it was a very unpleatant and drawn out experience. I don' t eat lots of meat (maybe once or twice a week) and not lots of oily types of food. Do you have any suggestions as to what I might eat (etc) to improve this situation?

Dear Mary
If you have already increased your fibre intake with the Colon Cleanse, I can only suggest that start using a probiotic ("good microorganisms") to normalise the microorganisms or "flora" in your colon. The product called "Bifidoflora" (which contains Bifidobacteria)is recommended specifically for the treatment of disorders of the colon (large intestine). You can purchase Bifidoflora at your local dietitian or health shop. Also read the articles on constipation by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page, and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read Articles 123 and 124 about healthy colon practices. Taking a small quantity of healthy oil like olive oil (2-3 T a day) can also help to lubricate the colon and make you more regular.

1

Dear Mary