Question
Posted by: desperate | 2008/06/20

STOMACH PROBLEMS

I am only posting here because Dr Bets (CyberDoc) doesnt answer Fri, Sat & Sun and her stand-in doesnt seem to answer questions before Sund pms.

I was wondering if you could maybe help.

Given that I have an IBS problem (I posted here posting 607 - 09/06 about the high fibre diet!) and recently had very bad constipation (which does seem better at the moment) is there any possibility I have an inflammed colon problem, having had the following symptoms?

Over the last 7-10 days I have had on/off bouts of bad nausea and then was going to the loo a million times during the day. I didnt pay too much attention to this, but then Wed evening I got this really bad abdominal pain out of the blue (it was across the whole of my front area - left to right) - then it went away (I didnt take anything for it). That then worried me about possibly being my kidney infection (I have chronic kidney problems and have only 1 kidney) so I phoned my urologist's rooms yest am (Thurs) (my gp is away at the moment and only back on 23/6) to ask to hand in a urine MC&S - he gave me a Stemetil script yest and phoned my at lunch time today saying my urine was absolutely fine - my slight concern is he said it sounds like a stomach/colon problem. I didnt get round to asking him why he particularly mentioned colon and when I thought of phoning him back to ask him he seemed to have gone back to theatre - his phone was on the answering machine. I figured this am that part of the reason for my nausea could be because I never ate yest or last night so I ate this morning (ok so maybe the egg wasnt such a good idea, but then I hadnt had vomiting apart from 1 bout yest early pm, wihch wasnt excessively bad!) I had scrambled egg and a croissant this am and was violently ill straight afterwards! I took Stemetil about 1/2 hr afterwards (10:30 am) and was fine. I had something to eat again at about 4:20 this pm - it was only homemade veg soup and DRY toast - and was sick again. My question is do I just have a stomach bug (I have heard there are a lot of people with this at the moment) and do I need to take anything else other than the Stemetil for it if this is what I have or do I need to worry about a possible colon problem as my urologist said and mention it to my gp when he is back on Mon? I haven't had that severe abdomonial pain since Wed - I did get a bit of pain yest but nothing like Wed and this was on the front right side. Do I need to worry at all?

Again I appreciate any help you might have.
Thanks.

Dear Desperate
From your description it is very possible that you are suffering from an infection (virus or microbial) of the gi tract (i.e. gastroenteritis). You may require more than Stemetil (this just stops nausea), but does not for example kill microorganisms that could be causing the infection. I would, therefore, recommend that you see another gp if the symptoms don't stop. Generally general practitioners have a number you can phone when they are away which will inform you who is standing in for them. Otherwise go to the Casualty of your nearest hospital. If you are vomiting all the time, I am concerned that you will become dehydrated. Sip boiled, cooled down water to ensure that you don't get too severely dehydrated, but do try and see a dr over the weekend if the symptoms should persist.
I hope you feel better.

1
Posted by: desperate | 2008/06/20

Doc

I forgot to mention I am a Walk for Life member and usually go Tues & Thurs - but havent been this week becuase of being sick! I have to go because my vascular suggeon said its essential I do regular exercise for my lymphoedema problem which I had diagnosed May last year.

Reply to desperate