Question
Posted by: Miemie | 2008/07/04

Stomach needs help???

Morning Doc

I urgently need your advise two years ago i went to a specialist I went for the gatstocscopic he told me that i Hace a scastic colon and prescribe Zelnorm, fybogel all these other things did not work. My house doctor told me that Zelnorm is off the market. Lately my tummy get so swollen that it looks if i am 6motnhs pregnant. I feel bloated all the time and get terrible back pain. But it seems to get worse only if i ate. Yesterday I only had poptato salad and stew at night and I felt I i was daoing. i can not drink wate because I have the full feeling and feel if i am going to get anything in i am going to vomit. I am very very constipated. My house docter only suggest that I must stress less but someone else think that I may be milkintolerent, when i was a baby I was allergic to milk and good only drink soya. Can it be? Please advise

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I recommend that you consult a general surgeon to have another gastroscopy done, in order to find the cause for your constipation. Once this is determined, the correct treatment can be started. Unfortunately, you will need a prescription in order to get the correct medication for a possible gastric ulcer or a spastic colon.

In the mean time, you can use Gaviscon Advanced and Ultac and take Laxette Syrup.

Kind regards

Dr Arnich Burger

1
Posted by: anxious | 2008/07/05

You sound like you do have IBS (irribitable bowel syndrome) and food plays a major role in this condition, i.e. many people have to be very careful with what foods they eat as some can cause problems such as bloatedness etc. So its best to keep a chart, i.e. when you get bad symptoms, think back to when it was and what you had eaten and eliminate this food from your diet and see if that helps. Zelnorm has been withdrawn from the market because FDA asked Novartis to do so because of studies that showed slight increases in heart-related problems with people taking Zelnorm. I used it for 3mths in 2006 when I was diagnosed with IBS and it worked very well for me.

You should probably consult a qualified dietician to set up a suitable diet for your condition. Constipation and IBS go hand in hand and you need to manage both by eating lots of fibre in your diet. Stress also aggrevates an IBS condition and this should be managed as best as possible by things such as yoga, regular exercise. A blood allergy test with confirm whether or not you have a dairy product allergy. Continue taking Fybogel - its safe to take every day (2 a day).

Reply to anxious