Question
Posted by: Robyn | 2011/03/10

Stomach muscle tear

About a year ago, i was doing a sit up at gym and felt a "  pop"  in my stomach. I rested for a few days but everytime i tried to do any ab exercises i wasnt able to. It went on for a while and eventually i sought medical advice. Long story short, I landed up having a hernia repair surgery done - the muscle had torn, but there wasnt a hernia. They just repair it in the same way.
It took a long time to get back to fitness after the surgery. Now, almost a year later and I was back to my old fitness and yesterday i did a sit up and felt the same sensation again. I have treated it with a TransAct and will rest it, but i would just like some other advice as I dont want to have surgery again and also am planning to get pregnant and would like to opt for natural birth.

I can't give you advice on the muscular problem, though it sounds like you need to see a doctor. The rectus muscles do stretch during pregnancy and this could cause problems. It is more the stretching from the uterus expanding that would be the problem, rather than how you deliver.

1