Posted by: Gloria | 2012-10-21

Stomach issues

I currently live in a West African country (have been here for about 2.5 years). Last week I somehow contracted some kind of strange stomach bug. I started getting diarrhoea, not too bad, but after about three days it got worse. Since last Wednesday, I''ve been having bad diarrhoea. I don''t have to go to the loo very often (2 x a day), but when I go it is diarrhoea. I saw a doctor on Thursday and she asked for a stool sample. Unfortunately, she did not give me proper instructions (I wanted to do it at home) and the sample could not be used. I''m going back tomorrow and hopefully they can then send my results to the lab.

What I find strange is that I don''t really have other symptoms: I don''t have a fever, I''m not nauseous, don''t have muscle pain, etc. It''s just the diarrhoea and then I also feel a bit " run-down" . I''m rehydrating myself and staying away from dairy and fatty foods. I don''t know what else to do but it doesn''t seem to be getting better. Tonight I had diarrhoea and it was very dark green (almost black).

Will this go away by itself eventually? Apparently, other people here have it too. I''m in my third trimester of pregnancy and I''m trying to be as healthy as possible. But I don''t think I''m getting a lot of nutrients with this situation. I stayed away from work for two days last week but I''ll have to go back tomorrow, even if nothing has improved.

So frustrating!!!!

I would appreciate your advice. Thanks.

I suggest that you wait for the results of your stool sample. This will give a clear indication of what the cause for your diarrhoea is. The strange colour is not an indication of the origin of the diarrhoea. Keep well hydrated and replenish with isotonic fluid after every loose stool. You can add salt to your diet and use ante-natal supplements.