Question
Posted by: ERZ | 2010/10/04

stomach fat

I am a 30 year old male, I weigh between 86 to 87.2 depending … , my height is 186 cm. My waist is 93.5 cm
In the last 2 years I have stopped smoking, stopped drinking caffeine and sugar drinks, yet my weight has increased from 65 to where it is now at 87+-.
I have been exercising for about 5 months at a gym doing mostly cardio ( cycle, run , circuit and rowing) 4 to 5 times a week with discipline and I have almost no body fat other than my stomach. How do I loose this flab on my stomach?
I eat no fatty foods such as bacon etc, however I do eat mostly pasta, veg and beef and drink mostly cranberry juice mixed with half water

Any advise?

Dear Erz
When you weighed 65 kg 2 years ago your BMI = 18,8 which was underweight. Now your top weight of 87.2 kg gives you a BMI of 25,2 which is slightly above the upper level of normal. Because you are so active (doing cardio exercise 4-5 times a week), this BMI is probably not excessive, but it may help to lose 3-4 kg which would also reduce your abdominal fat. Try using a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). The problem with abdominal fat is that it is particularly resistant and difficult to shift. Ask your gym instructor to add some exercises that target the stomach (sit-ups, etc) to your regimen. This should help you to lose the flab, but this is a long-term process. If you can lose those 4 kg and do targeted exercises for the next 6 weeks (take your measurements every week) and there is still no reduction, then it may be an idea to consult a plastic surgeon for the option of liposuction to remove the abdominal fat.
Hang in there

1

Dear Erz
Hang in there