Question
Posted by: Bee-Bee | 2011/02/22

Stomach exercise

Hi there FitnessDoc,

I am currently doing stomach exercise with a little " exercise wheel"  - I am not sure what it is called, but it is a wheel with two handles on the side. I get onto my knees and slide forward and backwards with the wheel in my hands, using my stomach muscles to move myself backwards.

Do you think I am wasting my time or is it good exercise for my stomach? I find that it is not so hard on my back like push-ups, which is great.

Thank you kindly,
Bee-Bee

Hi Bee-Bee

I don't think you're wasting your time, but that exercise alone is not going to take you do your goal, regardless of whether it's to develop strength/stability, or to get that elusive six-pack. The exercise will work the abs, and also the back, but the only way to achieve both those goals is a combination of those exercises, and also cardiovascular training. If you're doing that, then this exercise is part of the process. But alone, it's not the answer.

Also, do you mean sit-ups rather than push-ups? I'm not 100% sure of your goal or what else you're doing training-wise.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/27

Hi Bee-Bee

Reply to fitnessdoc