Question
Posted by: Jane | 2010/12/20

Stomach crunches causing heartburn

HI doc

I have quite a large stomach and a weak valve which means that whenever I try doing stomach crunches (to try and lose the stomach) I get heartburn, sometimes pretty bad. I can''t keep taking antacids, and I''d really like to exercise my stomach. I did pilates for a while, but had to stop as the heartburn got too bad. If i do exercises where I put pressure on my stomach, it also causes heartburn.
Is there a way I can work out my stomach, wihout putting too much pressure on it and giving myself heartburn?

Hi Jane

If you're at the gym, you might try some of the ab machines, where you're sitting upright and doing crunches - you know which machine I'm talking about? It might be that being horizontal adds to the problem, and if you do these seated crunches, then you'll benefit.

Of course, it's cardio and not crunches that make the bigger difference for the stomach anyway, so you might consider that, because all the crunches the world don't make too much difference if you aren't also tackling the problem of burning fat, so that's maybe something to look at.

2
Posted by: Mmmmmm | 2010/12/21

You cant lose the stomach with crunches or any other stomach exercise.
Diet and lose the weight with 1. weighted exercises 2. cardio.
In that order.

Reply to Mmmmmm
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/12/21

Hi Jane

Reply to fitnessdoc