Question
Posted by: Klaudija | 2011/03/16

Stomach cramps and bloating

Hi Doc, please advise what the following might have in common as whenever I eat these foods I get horrendous stomach cramps and bloating which can last for up to 2 days. Rice (white and brown), Maize meal, All bran flakes, Pizza, Peanut butter, Rye bread. Much appreciated.

Dear Klaudija
The only way to determine exactly what component or components you are intolerant or allergic to, is to have allergy tests done. Your gp will be able to send you for the relevant tests. In the meanwhile you will have to avoid all the foods you list to prevent the stomach cramps and bloating. When you see the dr, also discuss the possibility of irritable bowel syndrom (IBS) with him or her. Once we have a diagnosis and know which foods you react to (for example a gluten and/or nut allergy), then I will be able to provide additional tips on a diet that is free of the offending foods.

1

Dear Klaudija