Posted by: Shelley | 2013-01-14

stomach bug re-infection?

Hi doc

I had a stomach bug (watery runs and nausea) for 2 days, 3rd day tummy did not run at all.

Day 4 My one year old son started presenting with a runny tummy now, very little bits, not really like I had and now I seem to have it again, though at the moment not as bad as it was.

Have I been re-infected? I washed all the bedding and towels, used dettol to disinfect the taps and the toilet handle. I ran boiling water over my toothbrush. I wash my hands thorougly after using the loo and changing nappies and I put the nappy in a bag before putting it in the bin.

Also my husband had this bug for only 1 day - but when I get bugs it always lasts 3 days or more! I do have panic attacks so Im not sure if this contributes?

What can I do to prevent re-infection? How can I get well again - I need to go back to work tomorrow and my son needs to go back to creche!

It is possible that your husband, your son and yourself were infected by the same virus and it is not uncommon to be re-infected. You have taken all precautionary measures to prevent re-infection and all I can suggest is to frequently wash your hands and to avoid touching your face. Your body will become resistant and I do not think that you should be worried about re-infection.