Posted by: Warren | 2009-01-20

Stomach Bloating

Hi Doctor,

If I completely relax my stomach it feels extremely bloated and obstructs my breathing. I' ve been holding it in for a couple a years now without actually being aware of that I hold it in. Just realised how uncomfortable it really is when I recently started relaxation exercises.

I' m not too sure what it could be attributed to. I do tend to eat fast and take in alota wind. Might be that. Really gets bloated though when I relax it. Is stomach bloating an actual disease and is it physically possible that it could of stretched or even out of place?

I also don' t have much abdominal strength. Don' t really feel my abdominal muscles.

I' m really concerned and actually quite worried now that I' ve become aware of it.

Please Help

Dear Warren
Eating fast and swallowing wind can cause bloating. Another cause of a distended stomach is abdominal fat around the organs. If it is fat, your waist measurement will be constant if you measure it morning and evening. Bloating would cause a difference in waist measurement. A way to determine whether your stomach muscles have strength is to do sit ups and see how many you can do in a minute - see