Question
Posted by: MK | 2010/07/08

Stomach &  Diet

Hi there, I know that it is not possible to target exercise / loose fat. I just want to know:
1. I exercise +/- 6 times a week (30min Cardio, 15 min Condition), and my muscles at the top part of my stomach are quite visible. Unfortunately there is a fat pouch on the bottom part, is there anything I can do about that?
2. When should I eat what during the day? I eat +/- 6-7 times a day (My calorie intake is not more than +/- 1800), but at what times should carbs or protein be my main ingredient?

Hi MK

As you say, the tricky thing is that you can't spot reduce, and target areas. So what you're trying to do is budget that last, stubborn section, which is very tough to do.

All I can suggest is that you need to look at increasing a) your total time of exercise - 30 min is relatively short, because by the time you get down to this last area, you need to be doing a bit more than this, and b) look at the intensity of training, because it may be that you'll benefit from a small increase. This might mean that you do an interval session in that cardio workout, where instead of doing 30 minutes, you go hard for 3 minutes, easy for 2 minutes, repeated 6 times, that kind of thing. If you can raise the intensity slightly, then you'll be shifting your energy use in favour of burning more.

Re the diet, best bet is to see a dietician - 6 to 7 times a day is good, but I'd question that overall calorie intake, and also the composition of the diet. Again, because we're talking about a difficult case (it's a little easier when someone is trying to lose say 30kg than when they're already reasonable weight, but trying for that last 2%), the best bet is to really optimize and that means seeing a dietician.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/07/16

Hi MK

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: MORGAN CHAMA | 2010/07/09

I exercise 5 times every week for 1hour but my stomach is still notreducing in size. i live in a camp set up were lunch is at midday (12hrs) and have dinner at 8pm after working out. What sort of exercise can i do and what is the advisable diet?

Reply to MORGAN CHAMA