Question
Posted by: debracoetzee | 2008/10/01

stomach

please help, i am loosing weight everywhere else exept my stomach, which is still carrying a bit of baby fat from the birth of my daughter earlier this year. what is the most effective quickest way to get rid of the fat?

Hi Debra

This is quite a common question problem, actually. Everyone seems to battle with the weight in a specific area, in your case the stomach area, and it's also common after pregancy. It's really difficult to combat though, although you have already hopefully recognized that eating well and exercising correctly are the keys. The mistake people make is that they try to target the muscle group, often at the expense of doing the whole body exercise that is actually more effective. That's not to say that focus on a muscle group or area is bad, because you need it, but it's better to do whole body exercise. The exercise is cardio training - like running, walking, cycling, swimming, taebo, aerobics etc. Anything that is cardiovascular gets the heart pumping and energy burning is most effective. It is just a question of how you use these cardio sessions. I would suggest at least 4 days a week of cardio training, each session lasting about 30 to 45 minutes, AT LEAST. You have to build up this duration and then keep at it consistently in order to see change.

The specific exercises for the area in question have a relatively minor role, other than that they are responsible for developing the muscle in the area, which creates the appearance of being toned. That's obviously what you want, but you have to realise that you can't do the toning and specific work first and neglect the cardio - it has to work the other way around, cardio first, toning second. So focus on cardio, then on toning.

Diet is also very crucial, and if it's not 100% it will undermine any exercise benefits. So the best thing is to see a dietician or follow a very good diet plan. Just remember that low kilojoule is not necessarily better - too low causes problems as well, because it causes the body's metabolic rate to drop and that affects your ability to lose weight in the future. So don't try to starve yourself or go overboard, rather eat sensibly, cut out as much fat as you can, and listen to your body.

Ross

1
Posted by: td | 2008/10/06

the tummy area is all about DIET - so make sure you' ve cut out the ice-cream, mayonaise, white bread and sugar..
As long as you' re doing cardio the weight should come off.
Also, after my baby my tummy was the last place to lose!!
but you just gotta keep doing what you' re doing! cut out the rubbish and do cardio 3x per week... you' ll get there!
i promise!

Reply to td