Question
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010/10/21

Still very tired after hip replacement

Dear Dr Bets

Hope you can help. I had a left hip replacement three months ago. I am able to walk without crutches or anything but after doing my household chores I am absolutely shattered by 12.00. I wait for my husband to come home for lunch and thereafter I go lie down. I am supposed to go gymming, swimming etc. but I can''t get up the energy to do so. I said to the doctor who did the op that I was so tired and he put me on B complex high potency to help but I have been in it for a month and its made no difference. I am 71 by the way and have always been very active, walking 4 dogs and looking after my other pets (10 cats), guinea fowls and pea -|- s plus gardening but have done very little besides the bare essentials. Should I go for Vitamin B12 injections with my GP? Your comments would be appreciated.

Hallo Cat Lady
One loses a lot of blood during a hip operation -please ask your GP to check your iron levels, as you may have anemia. Other causes of severe tiredness may be underactive thyroid or an underlying infection, which he can check with blood tests also.
dR Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/10/21

Hallo Cat Lady
dR Bets