Question
Posted by: silly | 2011/05/19

still silly

I checked the mayo clinic site and have commented on each cyclothymia symptom as it relates to me. Considering my comments, do you think I can hold off on therapy/medication and try by myself for several months? I don''t have money right now. Incidentally, to help you help me, I am female, 62 years old.
Signs and symptoms of hypomanic episodes of cyclothymia may include:
Unusually good mood or cheerfulness (euphoria) YES
Extreme optimism SOME OPTIMISM
Inflated self esteem NEVER
Poor judgment SOMEWHAT, LESS CAREFUL THAN USUAL
Rapid speech FASTER THAN NORMAL, STILL SLOWER THAN MOST PEOPLE
Racing thoughts YES
Aggressive or hostile behaviour NO, BUT SHOW ANGER WHICH IS NORMALLY HIDDEN AND QUICKER TO ANGER THAN USUAL
Being inconsiderate of others NEVER
Agitation NOT REALLY, BUT TENSE/ANXIOUS
Increased physical activity SOMETIMES
Risky behaviour NOT REALLY, BUT LESS CAUTIOUS THAN USUAL
Spending sprees YES BY MY THRIFTY STANDARDS, OTHERS WOULD STILL CALL ME MEAN
Increased drive to perform or achieve goals YES- CAUSES ME STRESS
Increased sexual drive NEVER
Decreased need for sleep NEVER, BUT DIFFICULTY FALLING ASLEEP AND STAYING ASLEEP
Tendency to be easily distracted YES
Inability to concentrate NO, MY MIND IS ACTUALLY SHARPER THAN USUAL WHEN IN THIS MOOD
Depressive phase of cyclothymic disorder THIS IS MY “ NORMAL”  STATE
Signs and symptoms of depressive episodes of cyclothymia may include:
Sadness YES INTERMITTENTLY
Hopelessness USED TO BE BUT I PRACTISE GRATITUDE
Suicidal thoughts or behaviour NEVER, IT''S WRONG
Anxiety YES ALMOST CHRONICALLY
Guilt YES ALL MY LIFE
Sleep problems NEED A LOT, DON’ T SLEEP DEEPLY
Appetite problems OCCASIONALLY BINGE-EAT
Fatigue YES CHRONICALLY
Loss of interest in daily activities YES FREQUENTLY
Decreased sex drive YES ALMOST ALWAYS
Problems concentrating YES- BRAIN FOG
Irritability ALMOST NEVER
Chronic pain without a known cause YES FREQUENTLY, BUT HAVE FIBROMYALGIA

Clearly, the proper answer is that while self-diagnosis can help to decide whether it's a ood idea to seek professional advice and help, it's not reliable opn it's own. So the best thing would be for you to see a shrink, even at a state / provincial hospital or clinic, for a proper asessment and discussion of treatment options - and then such treatment as you needed could be provided at low cost, related to your finances.
Second line of thoughts. While the evidence is pretty clear about the value of medication in treating Bipolar Disorder, its less clear IF one is considering the milder symptoms of cyclothymia. It's not clear from your remarks, though ( and thus the need for an expert assessment ) whether you might not be perhaps experiencing a manic phase of a Bipolar disorder, which could be more readily helped. Or there might be a cyclothymia made more unpleasant by the presence of another disorder, such as depression, maing the cyclothymia more noticeable, and itself responding well to proper treatment.

1