Question
Posted by: b.e. | 2012/01/18

still not well

hi Diet Doc! hope you are well! it is i, once again, your favorite Diabetic Rage patient. here is the latest, 4 months ago i finally landed up in ICU for 2 weeks with an advanced stage of DKA (organs were failing, they told me i might not make it)... nevertheless, i got the help and care i needed and went home healthy and 13kg''s heavier! anyway, i have been eating right, injecting properly, and exercising everyday. physically i feel better than i have in YEARS!!! but..... mentally, i dont feel good. i am still the angriest diabetic in the world and now am also a huge fatty! people come up to me all the time asking if i am pregnant or " when''s the baby due?"  coz i got so fat so fast! its making me so unhappy... help please, i need to lose this weight fast! and also i need to have a Islets of Langerhans transplant so i will no longer be diabetic coz i just cant live like this!!! xxx

Dear b.e.
Oh my goodness. You are really my most worrying patient ever! I am just so thankful that you did survive the advanced diabetic ketoacidosis and the organ failure. I sincerely hope that you have AT LAST told your husband about your condition and why you are so angry and have also arranged to get some psychological assistance and support??? If not, go and sit down with your hubby and tell him EVERYTHING and ask him to help you. I bet he would rather assist you to pay for psychological counselling than to have you die of neglected diabetes. You do need this type of counselling because if a trained psychologist does not help you to change your mindset, you will be back to starving yourself and not using your insulin.
When those people ask your about being pregnant, just say, "NO, I am not pregnant. I am recovering from a near-death experience" and watch their faces. It has Nothing to do with anyone else how much you weigh and what you are doing in your life. The main thing, is that you are actually alive and not too badly damaged!!!
Discuss the possibility of having a pancreatic tissue transplant with the doctors who were treating you in the ICU. Keep in mind that this kind of procedure is still in its early stages.
Now please be sensible and let's not have any more emergencies.
Talk to your hubby and disregard the nasty people who are trying to get a reaction out of you.
Try living for a change!

1

Dear b.e.
Try living for a change!