Question
Posted by: Haamidah | 2010/02/08

Still not sure

Hi I' ve written in a couple of times under Hm . I have been trying to conceive for a number of years and after numerous visits to docters i am finally pregnant!! Or so I hope. I have been to the antenatal clinic and they did a pregnancy test again confirming that I m pregnant but there is something bothering me. First. they cannot establish yet how far i am because they say it is too early. I want to know is this normal. I had my last period in December. It came twice for in the month for one day at a time. In January there was nothing. Secondly, they did a sonar but could not see the fetus yet. Also too early. They could only see the embriotic sac or something like that. I' ve recently heard about a friend of mine whose daughter thaught she was pregnant. She had all the signs. No period for several months, naseua, the stomach but when they did a sonar they found only the embriotic sac and no fetus. She wanted to be pregnant so bad she subconsiently became pregnant.
Now i am worried that this is happening to me too. I have been so desperate to get pregnant fot the past three years. What if im not really pregnant.I did a test again at home and it was positive. But this story really freaked me out. I have to go again next month for a sonar scan. Must i wait or is there something I can do to reaffirm my pregnancy. Please let me know as soon as possible. I am totally stressed about it.

It sounds to me like you are very early in the pregnancy. If the sac is seen, this suggests 5-6 weeks, when you would not expect to see anything else. You can also work out how far you are from the last period. The fact that the pregnancy test is positive means that it is not a phantom pregnancy.

5

Hi, sometimes your bladder can be empty which makes it impossible to see on the scan, cause that is what happened to me, so my gynea did a viginal scan and only then we could see the little peanut.

So a viginal scan is best in the begining stages of pregnancy.

Posted by: Haamidah | 2010/02/09

Thank u for that. I did some calculations and I think I must be around 4 weeks. So all I can do now is wait for the next scan. It is going to be hard but I guess I dont have any choice.

Reply to Haamidah
Posted by: 2nd Baby | 2010/02/09

Hi I am 4 weeks pregnant, had a scan this morning and saw abslotely nothing. Doctor did a quantitative blood test just now apparently that will tell. All my other bloodtest show I am pregnant, but the scan was full of emptiness

Reply to 2nd Baby
Posted by: Candy | 2010/02/09

Hi there, I had my last period on 10 Dec last year and went for my first scan last Thursday. I could see a perfect little baby (more or less) at only 8 weeks. I was just as scared as you are now but I have heard that what you experienced is normal if it was a scan done maybe at 5 or 6 weeks. Its gonna be tough but just wait it out.

Reply to Candy