Question
Posted by: Stacey | 2010/11/20

Still Lactating

Dear Doc
I had my son in January 2009 and breastfeed for 7 months. I ''dried'' up in about 2 weeks. There has been a bit of milk ever since. And over the last two weeks I have felt full. If I express a little then it feels a bit better but over the next couple of days I find I am back where I started. Is this normal? I am not pregnant at the moments and I am not on any medication.
Please help as I am quite worried about this.
Regards Stacey

If you stimulate your breasts they will continue to produce milk, so you definitely should not express.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2010/11/22

Every time you express you worsen the situation, as your body produces more milk to replace what has been expressed.

If this is within a few months of having stopped breastfeeding, then don''t worry, if you stop expressing it will eventually go away. This is one of the reasons why it is better to wean baby slowly (replacing one feed per week) as it reduces your supply slowly too.

However, if this is 6 months or more since you stopped breastfeeding, it could be a hormonal problem so you should then see your gynae.

Reply to Purple