Question
Posted by: Charlie | 2008/07/15

Still got the muchies

I ate Oats for breakfast as I understood from previous posts that
you stay fuller for longer and have less cravings - this was at
05h25 this morning, at 08h00 I was hungry again -why is my body hungry every 2 hours ? is this perhaps just a state of mind?
im trying to eat according to weighless principles when i can but I feel half imbarresed to constantly be stuffing my face with something even if just an apple.... how do I tell apart my cravings - which are natural which are cravings are due to comfort/bordom
how do I make my mind over and accept that eating too little is worse that eating enough of what is right - I eat more food on the weighless diet than what I ate before I started dieting?

Dear Charlie
Oats are a high-GI food, so they do not keep you satisfied for long, BUT if you eat the oats with milk or yoghurt then the milk or yoghurt lowers the GI of the meal and keeps you satisfied for longer. Cereals that have a low-GI which keep you from getting hungry are: wholewheat Pronutro, muesli, Maltabella and unsifted maize meal. If you are constantly hungry then you are either eating too little, or you may need to follow a low-fat, low-GI diet to stave off the hunger pangs. If you are genuinely hungry (you know, with a rumbling tummy) then this is not due to boredom, but low blood sugar levels and you need to eat something. If you are not hungry but crave food just because you are bored then this is comfort eating and should be avoided. I would recommend that you stick to the Weighless diet strictly for 2 weeks to see if this helps you to overcome your hunger pangs and to lose weight. If this does not help, then it is advisable that you consult a clinical dietitian for a low-fat, low-GI diet. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. Also click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.