Question
Posted by: Hank | 2012-02-27

still depressed

I have been feeling very down and depressed this past year or so, so i finaly went to a psychiatrist and he diagnosed me with depression and he put me on anti depressants which i have been taking every night. In the beginning it seemed to help i felt a little better, the headaches were gone the irritations and temper flares were under control i felt like i could cope with my problems again, and during this time last three months i have been seeing a psychologist as weel one a week. I realy felt that i was getting better but this last few days even though i am still taking my tablets i am feeling down again my temper is back out of control i am constantly iritated and a new thing is the huge amount of rage i am feeling inside, i have no idea were it is comming from but it feels like it is going to engulf me.

I dont know what to do the talks with the pshycologist does not seem to help me anymore and i dont know if the medication is still working.
What should i do?

Generally, you seem to be describing a fairly typical depression, with a good initial response to treatment. Usually medication that starts working doesnt stop working, but your psychiatrist could do a useful re-assessment of this. I believe that a psychologist can be useful, but not much if they're just using a wishy-washy chat - where there is good evidence of effectiveness, it's for Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ( a specific form of counselling ) which can be much more efficient. Check how your psychologist is working, and maybe the psychiatrist can recommend someone using a modern and effective method like CBT.

1