Question
Posted by: anxious | 2009-11-23

STILL CONFUSED

i was also wondering about the voinding cystogram! But according to my urologist' s nurse whom I spoke to on Thurs she seemed to say at this stage that' s all they are going to do - make me wee when I get there THEN do the ultrasound and see what that shows. It is of course possible that he has something different in mind that she doesn' t think he is going to do! Most of the time she is aware of all the procedures that go on there because she has to be involved in a lot of them! I just still remain confused (despite my admission on Thurs to her that I am not anymore!) by a few things.

1. When I walked out of his rooms after his doing my catheter test (5 Nov), he made no mention about any problems with my urine sample, which he always tests while I am there. When I was there in July he gave me the Forcid script while I was there because he said that my test results from my gp were enough to put me onto something but that my test that I had done there in his rooms was fine. (I was there then because I had annoying kidney pain which wasnt going away!. I was expecting him to do a catheter test then, but he didnt do one. It seems that this time the catheter lab results showed up different results from the results he got when he looked at my sample in this rooms? He " spins?"  the urine samples and always gets accurate results? I am puzzled here because I was always under the impression that if the rooms tested sample (especially at my urologist' s rooms) doesn' t show up anything, it' s not going to show anything in the finals results! My gp has always said this to me, i.e. he sometimes looks at my samples (even if I am not sick, he ALWAYS looks at them if I am there sick!) and says it seems fine which means (he says) the lab finals will also be fine!

2. Why did his nurse vaguely mention the possibility of my needing to have a scope? I know she knows we just have to see what these scan results say, but why is she already mentioning this possibility this early?

No, I am NOT getting " anxious!" . Its more curiosity than anything at this stage!

I leave the worrying to my doctors to do! If THEY worry then I might start worrying!

Hi Anxious
In the rooms they spin the urine in a centrifuge and then look at the cells they gather at the bottom of the tube - if there are bacteria or white blood cells ( pus cells) visible under the microscope they know there is infection - but they still sometimes send to the lab to culture for sensitivity to antibiotics.
I think most people are actually scared of getting a scope, so maybe she just wanted you to be prepared mentally just in case he decides to do it!
dr Bets

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009-11-23

Hi Anxious
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc