Posted by: Jolene | 2009-02-12

Still bruised after 4 years

Dear Doc,
I gave natural birth four years ago and doc did an episiotomy. The scar was very painful and it took months before i could sit properly again. I am just concerned because after four years i still have almost raw, tender skin where the scar is. And it is still hurts sometimes when I sit down too suddenly or sit funny, it is also painful during sex meaning hubby and i only had sex about 5 times in the last year. I also still have to be very careful when wiping my bum otherwise it feels like I am tearing open the scar. Is there something i can apply to area to promote healing? Jolene

There isn't really anything that will result in further healing at this stage, but you could have revision of the scar ( another operation to improve it).