Question
Posted by: Me | 2008/06/03

Still bleeding

I posted a question a couple of weeks ago regarding bleeding from the back passage. I thought that it was haemarroids. The response was that haemarrhoids dont bleed that much - only slight streaks on the loo paper. I saw a doctor who said I had small pile and put a band on it. I was under the impression that the bleeding would then stop. I do not bleed every time I go to the loo to pass stools, but when I bleed, it is more than just a bit - the paper almost fills with bright red blood. On the once off occassion there has been a small amount of blood in my stool. I am in no pain or discomfort. I go to the loo regularly - like clockwork. Is this something to be concerned about, or will it pass. What can I expect from here?

Dear Me
Firstly - did your doctor do a rectal examination, feeling into the rectum with a finger ? I know this sounds gross but is really important. 90% of cancers in the anus can be felt with this examination. Secondly one should have an examination under anaestetic called a sigmoidoscopy if the bleeding does not stop and is not coming from an obvious hemorroid - it could be a diverticle or tumour bleeding and serious causes need to be excluded 100%. Hemorroids can bleed but rarely more than a teaspoon at a time - mostly just a streak on the paper.
See also http://www.medicinenet.com/rectal_bleeding/article.htm

4
Posted by: nondi | 2008/11/24

I have been bleeding from my anus for about 5 days now. It is a heavy bleed much like a period only it' s not getting better. I have no pain but the bleeding won' t stop. I have a history of chronic endometrios where it has affected my colon quite badly in the past to the extent that I was unable to pass stool naturally. Obviously something bad is going on but my GP is not available for another 2 days and I need a bit of advice now because I am starting to feel lightheaded from loss of blood. Can you help me?

Reply to nondi
Posted by: Me | 2008/06/04

Reply to Me
Posted by: DrBets | 2008/06/04

Hi Me
Yes the banding should have stopped the bleeding - I think a follow up visit will be a good idea.

Reply to DrBets
Posted by: Me | 2008/06/04

Hi again

he did do a rectal exam - and yes - it was gross and embarrising!

I am concerned that he said the haemarroid was small, did the band thing and I am still passing blood at times. I will be seeing him again soon. If it was a bleeding haemarrhoid, and it was "banded" - if that was the cause of the bleeding in the first place, would the "banding have stopped it?

Reply to Me