Question
Posted by: Yvonne | 2012-05-12

Stiffness in ankles

Dear Dr,
I am not sure who to refer to with my question so I have come to you first.
I am 62 years still working and active. I walk 5-6km 5 times a week for exercise as I cannot go to gym because of motor car injury to my neck 40 years ago.
about 18 months ago when I used to do swimming as exercise I noticed my ankles would get very stiff so I thought it was because of not walking enough. I had to stop swimming because of continuous bladder infection so then started walking again and the stiffness left.
But lately the past few weeks even though I am doing a lot of walking I have found stretching the muscles before and after exercise does not loosen them up and when I get up in the morning I find its very tight and even sitting at the computer at work I find my ankles very tight.
I thought the walking would keep them supple is there something else I should be doing?

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello Yvonne,
There is so much to consider. What shoes are you wearing? Are you stretching appropriately and effectively? Is your diet too acidic? Is your musculoskeletal system well balanced? How is your posture? Please consult with your local osteopath to gain an accurate assessment of your condition.