Question
Posted by: Girly | 2008-11-14

Stiffness and pain in thoracic spine

Hi Doctor
A few months ago I went to physio because of ' muscle pain'  being experienced just left of my spine what felt like just below my shoulder blade. This was treated as secondary stiffness caused by joint inflamation, and at the time the only thing that could attribute to joint inflamation was that I was preparing for exams, sitting for long periods of time with bad posture. The physio made it clear that the muscle stiffness was secondary and as long as I carried on with the posture, the joint inflamation wouldnt be resolved. So I went for a few physio sessions and it seemed to come right. Although I have been feeling a ' stiffness'  in my spine from time to time, I didnt think too much of it as I figured its probably still the same injury needing time to heal. But the last week or so I have felt constant stiffness in my spine, which feels like its spreading higher up my spine as well. No muscular tension or discomfort though, just this constant pain and tightness in my spine. Is this still probably joint inflamation brought on my my study posture, or could it be something else that I should worry about? Is spinal mobilisation the answer or should I consider going for another opinion, perhaps x-rays? The pain isnt getting any better, and I' m just worried there might be more to it than joint inflamation. I' ve been taking Cataflam D from time to time, but dont feel its made any improvement since these symptoms returned.
I' d appreciate your advice.

Dear Girly

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I recommend that you visit your GP for x-rays of your spine, as well as blood test, to exclude inflammatory diseases that can have an effect on the spine.

Kind regards