Posted by: paul | 2009-07-13

stiff sore muscles after exercise

I am 56 years of age and have exercised regularly. until recently i could run but now do fast walking every day for 10Kms per day. When walking and after my muscles and joints are very sore and stiff and if i sit for any length of time i battle to get up as i am so stiff and sore. This does not get easier during the day. i take two slow Mag tablets daily. is there anything else i can take to aleviate the stiffness and sore muscles.

Hi Paul

Difficult one. Is it a case that your muscles are overtrained? It might be that you're just overloading them, either by not resting between training days or by walking too fast, and they're sore because they are not adapting.

Muscle stiffness is common in people who suddenly start training. But once you've developed some fitness, that stiffness tends to go away. Unless of course you stop adapting, which it sounds may be the case here.

So my advice is to cut back on the walking for a short time - maybe for 2 weeks, rather just walk 8km and slower than you currently do, and see if that helps. If it does, then gradually work back towards 10km and faster, because I think you may just be over-reaching. If it does not help then I would advise seeing a doctor, because it may well be that you're developing some other problem, but that's something to deal with later. For now, it may just be a case of too much, too fast.