Posted by: Jenny | 2009-02-09

stiff /sore muscle

Hi, Doc

Its been 3 days now, i have a very stiff sore muscle on both my legs my calves and the back of my thighs, my muscle are so sore taking stairs is like a punishment, and i haven' t been to the gym for some time now (months) which really suprises me as i usuall get this kind of pain when i have been to the gym one day without a follow up.

what could be the cause of this, do i need to see the doctor?

thank you

Hi Jenny
If you did not exercise this could be a sign of muscle inflammation due to a viral infection or outo immune reaction (myositis). It could also be caused by irritation of the nerve root in the back but it is unlikely that this will happen on both sides. Your doctor can determine whether there is muscle inflammation by doing a blood test, so rather see your doctor.