Question
Posted by: Dina | 2010/01/26

Stiff muscles

I' m not a youngste anymore (56) very active and enjoy weight training. I enjoy high impact as well. I strecht every morning for 15 min. What I need to know why my muscles stay stiff and sore. Do you think I need some supplement or what supplement can I use. The recovery period for my muscles after a hectic workout takes longer. Maybe its my age??

Dear Dina
It is wonderful that you are so active. The physiological reason why muscles are sore and stiff after intensive exercise is that when we exercise we build up a compound called lactic acid in the muscles that makes them stiffen up and may cause pain. In general it is a good idea to have a day's rest in between very hectic exercise sessions (exercise one day, rest the next) to give the muscles time to recover and get rid of the lactic acid. There is some evidence that people who have an iron deficiency tend to experience problems with lactic acid recovery. Is there a possibility that you could have an iron deficiency? If so, please have your medical dr check your iron and ferritin levels. If you are iron deficient then the dr will prescribe the correct iron supplement. Don't take iron supplements without proof that you are deficient as too much iron is also not good.

2

Dear Dina

Posted by: charmayne oakes | 2010/01/26

Hi Diet Doc,

Please tell me more about the New Me Slimming Capsule.

Reply to charmayne oakes