Question
Posted by: ling | 2008/10/27

stiff hands and dark spots on feet

For about 3 months now my left hand has been numb, itchy and stiff. Feels the way one' s feet feel if they' re asleep. I rub it vigourously sometimes but it' s just numb. Also I developed a few dark spots on my feet about a year ago. They don' t hurt  they are just there and got darker over time. Also, legs and feet sometimes tingle like I have pins and needles, out of the blue and for no apparent reason. Haven' t been sure which doctor to see as it could be a waste of money if I see the wrong one. What do you think?
Thanks in advance!

Dear Ling
This could be coincidence that you have spots and neurological symptoms, but it could also be a sign of a disease called neurofibromatosis. Please see your GP first for the basic examinations and blood tests. He will then refer you to the right specialist on the basis of his preliminary findings and your blood results.