Posted by: Chris | 2011-02-09

Hi Doc. Over the past years I have had intermittent back issues seemingly related to sitting at my desk for long hours. Not so much pain but rather stiffness in the lower back and tingling pins and needles sensations mainly in the legs, feet and arms but also generally over the body. These sensations seem to get worse as the working day progresses (almost disappear over weekends). I do try and walk around during the day and do a stretching routine at night.The symptoms can last up to three months - what helps is massage/biokinetcis and heat treatment. Iv''e also recently been told I have high uric acid level - can this contribute to the tingling sensations ?

Anthing else I can do to address this uncomfortable condition ?

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello Chris,
I would recommend a simple chair with a hole at the bottom of the back rest big enough to put your backside through. Sitting bend forward wriggle back as far as possible and then sit up. Your lower back should now be concave, your midback should be supported and your neck relaxed.
I would advise you to consult with your nearest osteopath to thoroughly assess and treat you.
Uric acid is a factor but it may or may not be relevant.