Question
Posted by: Diamond | 2011/02/18

Stiff and sore muscles

Good afternoon,

I am doing stomach exercise and aerobics on a daily basis (or at least: I try to).

My question is? if my stomach muscles don''t get sore and stiff anymore... does the exercise still work, though? does it not necessarily mean that it should be sore for it to work?

Thank you kindly.

Hi Diamond

It does work, yes. The reason they don't get stiff is because they've adapted enough to resist the 'damage' that they first experience when you started out.

The unadapted muscle gets these tiny, microscopic tears as a result of contractions. But the stronger muscle is more resistant and so doesn't get that damage. That doesn't mean it's not still getting stronger and adapting though, so don't worry - you don't need pain to see gain!

As long as you're doing the exercises regularly, you'll be getting stronger.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/20

Hi Diamond

Reply to fitnessdoc