Question
Posted by: AD | 2011/11/11

Stiff and aching muscles

Hi doc, I''m a ''new'' runner (started out about 18 months ago). I find that the moment I step up my exercise routine my legs feel tired and heavy right from the word go. How do I overcome this?

Hi AD

You have to manage that increase really well. The feeling you have is expected, it happens to everyone, and it's part of normal adaptation. We get worse before we get better. So you expect to feel heavy and tired when you ramp up the training, the key is to plan for it. So allow a day of rest either side of your harder training day, or reduce that harder training a little bit so that it's not so much of a "shock" to your system. That usually does the trick. The key, as I say, is that the "stress" of the new training has to be reduced.

So I'd back off by 15% on those days. maybe you're just asking a little too much of your body, too much of a change. A little reduction will go a long way to helping you manage the stress. Then build slowly, take a week to get to where perhaps in the past, you've been getting there in 2 days.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/11/27

Hi AD

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc