Posted by: B | 2009-11-22

Sterroid withdrawal

Dear Doc

I was on Prednisone for 4 weeks (100mg per day) and for some reason the specialist did not taper the dosage off. This not only caused my thryoid to become temporarily underactive but I also felt very ill. My GP believes I had steroid withdrawal syndrome as a result of the sudden stop of the cortisone. It is now 5 weeks since I stopped the last presdnisone and I am just starting to feel like a human again. I was extremely fatigued, weak, nauseas, and had really terrible joint aches. I would say I am at 80% back to health except for the joint aches. How long does it take to completely recover from this?

As you have experienced, cortico-steroids should be stopped gradually. If not, withdrawal symptoms like you have been experienced are common. Symptoms can last for 4 to 8 weeks. I suggest that you are patient, as the symptoms will subside. If your symptoms worsens, consult your doctor immediately. Ibuprofen can be used to treat your joint pain.