Posted by: Stella | 2012-10-23

Sternum Moving

I have a impinged rotator cuff tendon. I have injections into the shoulder every year and do the exercises.
I had a MVA Dec 2010 high speed fender bender.
I was checked out.
Thing is, some joint or something in my chest clicks out and I can click it back by standing, pushing out my ribcage and arching my arms. It snaps back and the relief is immediate. Now it is harder and not snapping back so easily. Also, there is relief but delayed. I am now wondering if this is causing my shoulder pain actually? I looked at a pic being the layman DR I am and I think that my first rib end may be rubbing against the sternum or some part of the sternum clicking out. I have been sent for sternum X-rays but I wish to know if such a condition exists naturally. If not, could what I have deteriorate? I am 47. I have this costo condroiton thing apparently so does my mom. I am also asthmatic all my life (well controlled) and we have osteo arthritis in the family. Mom has a prosthetic knee, hip and shoulder.

You will have to wait for the x-ray results. It is possible that your symptoms are due to your previous injury. Damaged cartlidge and a torn tendon, keeping the rib in place, can be the cause.