Question
Posted by: Lee-101 | 2011/01/28

Sterilization

Good day Doc,

I am 24 years old turning 25 in 4 months time. I have one child and she is 2 and a half years old. I dont want any more children as giving birth was more than i can bare. My child almost died during birth and i was in labour for 28 hours.At what age can I be sterilized?

The recommendation is that sterilisations not be done under the age of 30 years. This is because many women change their minds later in life and then suffer when the sterilisation cannot be reversed. There are safe reversible methods of contraception available.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2011/01/31

I don''t think its about age, its about whether you want more kids or not.

Why not at this stage use a contraceptive such as Mirena which is very effective and gives you 5 years peace of mind?

I had a traumatic birth first time around and was depressed through my pregnancy and got post natal depression too. I never wanted more children, but we decided to try again (after 7 years) as I finally felt ready and I''m pregnant (25 weeks) and am really excited and am getting proper help and am on antidepressants through the pregnancy. I know that this will definitely be my last child and am being sterilised 6 weeks after my baby is born.

Why not give yourself another five years and then see. I was also adamant I didn''t want more children - until I changed my mind a year ago. However, at the same time, I''m now very confident in my decision that this will be my last baby and that NOTHING will change my mind (but I was that confident before this pregnancy too). I''m 34.

Reply to Purple