Question
Posted by: Beeeeee | 2011/10/31

Sterilised &  potty trained doggies

Hi there Scotty,

I haven''t been on the site in quite a while as I was extremely busy. I don''t think that you will remember me, so let me give you an update:
I have x2 Scottish Terreirs - male and female. They are both 6 months old. They are 90% potty trained - they would still do a #2 in the house once in a while, but haven''t wee-wee''d in the house for a very long time.

They were both sterilised on Friday and since then they have wee''d in the house x3 times - I am not sure which one of the two or even if it was both of them.

What is up with that?? Do you think it has something to do with them being sterilised or just a coincidence?

It is not as if they were sore and weak from the operation because on Sat morning they were running around like maniacs again and it happenend on Sun.

Thank you kindly,
Beeeeee

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Beeeee, of course I remember you!It could be stress related or 'marking' behaviour. If we look at it, they have both gone through a traumatic expereince - away from home in a strange environment with strange people, operation, staying at vet till recovered etc, and it could be that which caused it. Also, what happens sometimes, especially with males, is that if they have been away from home, they will 'mark' their territory again, and also if they are feeling a bit insecure.

What I would do is clean it with the 1/3 white vinegar to 2/3 water, apply a bit of citronella oil on the soiled areas after cleaned, and watch them like hawks, and really re-inforce the toilet training as if they were new puppies. Do let me know how it goes and nice to have you back on forum! take care, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/10/31

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert