Question
Posted by: Alex | 2012/08/12

Sterilisation

I am considering a vasectomy. From what I have gathered if all goes well, there is no decrease in sexual function or desire. Also the operation is quick and relatively painless. It can be done under a local anesthetic, which is what I would prefer.

But I have also heard horror stories. One guy I know said he woke from the operation in terrible pain that lasted for a year. He told me that it was the worst pain that he had ever experienced and that he would NEVER have had it done if he had known what he would go through.

So, some nervous questions:

1. What are the real risks with a vasectomy and how likely are they.
2. I run regularly about 60km a week. How much time will I realistically need to take off if the operation is a success and I don''t experience a " year of pain" .
3. Who would I speak to about this? A doctor, or a urologist? Any personal recommendations? I live in the Randburg / Sandton area.
4. My SO is also considering the female sterilisation procedure (I am uncomfortable about this). Is this more complicated that a vasectomy and are there side-effects?

I would really appreciate some comments from other readers who have had these procedures as well as the Sexologist.

Thank you for a great service and advice to the Sexologist as well as to all those who provide informative comments in this forum.

Alex

As you mention, a vasectomy is a quick and relatively painless procedure which can be done under local anaesthetic and is much less invasive, less complicated and safer than a tubal ligation procedure which is available to women. I would advise though, that you definitely discuss the procedure, exactly what to expect in terms of recovery and possible side-effects with a urologist who would be performing the procedure. I unfortuanetly do not know of any recommendations in your area, but would advise you to ask at your GP practice who they would refer you to.

4
Posted by: The Other Guy | 2012/08/14

I had it done just over a year ago at the Pretoria Urology Hospital. You are recommended not to drive home by yourself as you are given a mild sedative to ensure you are not too stressed about sharp instruments around your sensitive areas. The whole procedure takes an odd 15-20 minutes. I had about 2-3 days of discomfort due to the wound and stitches, pain was very minimal only on the day of the operation itself when the anaesthetic wore off, but nothing a mild pain pill couldn''t mask. I do gym 4 times a week and play squash 3 times a week, and only took a 4 day break before returning to normal sports activity. I can''t recall if I had to have the stitches removed, but think they dissolved by themselves. You have to use protection for the first 20 sexual encounters or 6 weeks if I recall correctly, where after a sperm count has to be done to ensure the operation was successful and any active sperm in the system has been flushed out. You usually have this done at a clinic/hospital close to you with your urologist being the contact person to inform you of the result.

Reply to The Other Guy
Posted by: Gail | 2012/08/14

My husband had a vasectomy so that I wouldn''t have to be. sterilised. This was about 9 years ago in Johannesburg and I have no idea who he saw except that it was a urologist. He drove himself to the Day Clinic had it done and drove himself home. One does still have to use protection depending on how regularly you have sex for about 4 - 6 months. My husband was a three times a week at least guy and never turned a hair and he rode bicycles, and climbed antennas etc.It''s a long time ago but I have no memory of him having any pain. This does not mean that you won''t so I would advise you to have that whole area checked out thoroughly first by a urologist before you embark on this. Each individual is different and while you may not be aware of any historical problems or father brother or uncle having issues ask about it.

As far as your sister goes, you don''t mention her age but generally they won''t sterilise a woman unless she is over 35 or has 3 children. This is because accidents do happen and people do change their minds - I did and am grateful they made me wait because I decided at 34 to have another child. Sterilisation of women can go off just fine but again everyone is unique. Some gynae prefer to just do a hysterectomy if the woman in question has a history of gynaecological problems because for some reason sterilisation by tubal ligation can lead to other issues. Whatever the reason I would advocate your SO seeks two opinions before having this done. The after effects for women especially if ovaries are removed can be nightmarish. The other thing a woman and a man need to be aware of is that this will not eliminate cancer risks and they should still have regular checkups no matter how young they are.

Reply to Gail
Posted by: lee | 2012/08/13

what is vasectomy guys?

Reply to lee
Posted by: sexologist | 2012/08/12

Reply to sexologist