Question
Posted by: Jeanne | 2008/06/21

Steriliasation reversal

I had myslf sterilised 4 years ago after the birht of my boy. We had our girl and boy, and deicided that, that would be enough.

Last year my hubby was killed in an car accident. I have met somebody that could be my new partner, but he has no kids. What if we would like a kid together.

Do you do a reversal or do you go the IVF route, and what would the costs be. I am now 34years old.

Jeanne

Dear Jeanne
In the first instance I would suggest that a sperm analysis be done before embarking on any form of reversal or IVF. Should the sperm analysis on it’s own warrant assisted reproductive technology such as IVF then the decision is a simple one. However should the sperm analysis prove to be normal then the choice between sterilization reversal by surgical means (laparotomy or laparoscopy) verses IVF should be considered. The surgical options require general anaesthesia and a post-operative recovery period. The costs between the surgical and IVF route is very similar. However in terms of success rates the surgical options maybe slightly better depending on the nature of the original operation and the current status of the tubes. One can expect a 70% success rate after a surgical reversal as opposed to a 40% success rate with IVF. Furthermore following a successful surgical reversal the chances of subsequent pregnancies remain good as opposed to IVF where each time a new IVF cycle will need to be undertaken.