Posted by: Lindi | 2010-04-29

Sterile after mumps

Could you please tell me what the possibility of my husband being sterile is? He had mumps at age 28 and as a result of the mumps developed orchitis in one of his testes. We are not currently trying to conceive but I would like to know for future reference. Also what tests should be done in order to be 100% sure? Many thanks

Dear Lindi

Orchitis is a very common cause of destruction of spermatogenesis and therefore it is likely that one’s ability to conceive may be diminished. The best way to try and assess if the mumps has damages spermatogenesis is for your husband to go for a full semen analysis. If the semen analysis is normal then in his particular case it has not interfered with his ability to try and conceive.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo

Posted by: S | 2010-05-03

Hi. I think your hubby should have a test done sooner rather than later so you can plan ahead.

Reply to S
Posted by: Dee | 2010-04-29

Sadly, the possibility is very high. Mumps at 28 is not good for fertility. You will need to have a semen analysis done at a pathologists, your gynae can order one and then you will know for sure if there was any damage done.

Reply to Dee