Question
Posted by: Angie | 2011-09-12

Step Son@CR

Hi Doc, hope you remember me. Anyways, we have confirmed that my step son has been acting up in school also, he is not concerned about anything, just playing. He went from being first in his class last year to becoming a dont care student...very weird. His mother wont give in to let him live with his father , the court case for custody will take too long (years) what can we do, he told me his mother gives him a lot of pressure regarding the court case and other things, she doesnt care about him. What else is left to do?

Its disgraceful, but seem often to be so, that any court case about something as urgent as custody, should take years, profitting only the lawyers ( lawyers win every case ) and any especially embittered and nasty participant. Of course if it takes long enough, the result becomes irrelevant.
I really think the law and the courts should recognize that it is criminal child abuse for any parent to use their child as a weapon against their ex-partner. A good lawyer should know if there is anything more you can do legally.
Otherwise, all you can do is to be supportive and loving to each other, and to the child, and maybe a counsellor could help him to deal better with the problems his mother apparently insists on creating

1