Question

Step Parents and Maintenance

Just a quick question? If my Hubby gets fired or retrenched and is not working. Can his ex wife sue me for his childrens Maintenance? We are married Anti-nup. Not that I want the kids to suffer at all, but we would not afford to even keep our house or my car he is the main bread winner.
What is the channals to go through once you are out of work to let the courts know that you cannot pay maintenance. Will they ask me to pay a portion for his kids? And If we cannot afford maintenance can she stop him from seeing his children? What if she does? HELP!!!??

Expert ImageFamily law expert

No, she can't hold you liable. Your husband will have to approach the maintenance court to vary the order. An order to pay maintenance can only be varied in circumstances where there are a complete change in circumstances, like in your husband's case.

2

Thank you for your advise.

Posted by: family law expert | 2010/06/23

Reply to family law expert