Question
Posted by: stepmom | 2010/01/28

step parenting &  beneficiaries

i recently got married to a man who has 1 child who' s 15 years old. The mother of the child died years ago. i have not legally adopted this boy and he' s also using his mother' s surname and not his father' s but he lives with us and we are fully responsible for him. im considering including him in my life policies and being a good parent to him but i do not want to legally adopt him. if i add him to my medical aid, can i add him as my child? can he enjoy the benefits of being my child even though i havent legally adopted him?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Dear Stepmom,

Yes, you will be able to include him on your medical Aid. The medical Aid might request an affidavit from you confirming that you care for the child.

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za

1
Posted by: Family law expert | 2010/01/28

Dear Stepmom,

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to Family law expert