Posted by: Simone | 2012-12-06

Dear Dr
This is not a question about a health problem, but something I am quite curious about: have a friend who is a rep for a company who manufactures stents. Whenever we are in a crowd, she tells stories about how she inserts the stents during surgery. I feel too badly to insinuate that she is lying, but find it strange that a rep would be allowed in theatre to assist the doctor. Do you know if this is indeed the case? Kind regards S

Sadly, it appears that this sort of thing does happen, though I consider it grossly unprofessional of the surgeons who allow this, and if anything were to go wrong they'd all be in dreadful trouble. I've heard persistent rumours about reps selling various surgical gadgets, who not only should never be allowed within the operating theatre, but indeed being encouraged to help use the apparatus. They should be arrested and struck off the register promptly

Posted by: johan de vries | 2012-12-07

I have six stents, my name here is real, by the way. I had 13 angiograms etc. + a bypass. My dr. thts in Durban north is very very highly qualified and professional. But I can tell you this from a patient point of view. If a rep walks in i will bulldoze myself out, unless its a she and super sexy.

Reply to johan de vries
Posted by: Milla | 2012-12-06

Sounds as if she''s trying to brag? The sad part for me is that if someone told me something like that I wouldn''t be thinking ''oh wow that''s cool'', I would be thinking ''why on earth are they allowing someone with no surgical training to assist in surgery?!''

You could perhaps ask her that next time she starts talking about it? If she doesn''t worry that she may cause harm to a patient?

Reply to Milla