Question
Posted by: RUBY CAROL SOUWITZSKY | 2012/11/12

STENTS

I WISH TO KNOW IN THE YEAR 2005 I HAD THREE STENTS
PLACED IN THE HEART VEIN, I DONT SMOKE AND DONT USE ALCOHOL. MY MEDICATION CONSIST OF ECOTRIN 81mg, one a day. BILOCOR 5 mg half a day. IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD CONSIDER , MY AGE 75 WEIGHT AVERAGE. I DO THANK YOU. RUBY

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Ruby Carol Souwitzsky

Thanks for your question. If you had to have three stents in a heart artery (artery, not vein!) in 2005 that must mean that you have coronary artery disease. Coronary artery disease in the vast majority of cases involves cholesterol. Your cholesterol may be “normal” or “average” but that is not the same as optimal! I would take the view that whatever your cholesterol is, it is too high for your arteries, and therefore start taking a statin to reduce it. To look at it another way, there is abundant evidence that reducing cholesterol in patients who have coronary artery disease will reduce their risk of problems in the future. Please therefore see your doctor, have your cholesterol checked, and get him or her to put you onto a statin, which you should take indefinitely. By doing so, you should significantly reduce the risk of future problems.

Kind regards, JT