Question
Posted by: Mervyn | 2008-11-27

Stent surgery for a diabetic

Hello,
Please advise.
My 75 year old aunt who is diabetic and has had many consults &  treatments with various GPs as well as 2 specialists &  1 surgeon has now been advised to have stent surgery because the blood flow in her right leg is poor. She feels a lot of pain in her right foot that impacts mobility. She also has arthritis.
She did have her right big toe nail removed due to infection.
She is uneasy on safety and gangrene in relation to this surgery.
Thanks and Regards

Dear Mervyn
If there is weak blood flow to the leg/foot and they don't try to improve this, it may develop gangrene anyway? Her doctor should discuss this with her in detail and explain the possible risks if she does or do not go for the operation. At 73 I would also be hesitant!

1
Posted by: Mervyn | 2008-12-01

Dear Cyberdoc, thanks for the message.
Please clarify that if she leaves this unattended, it is most likely due to her diabetes that the foot would develop gangrene. However there is no open wound or infection only pain, numbness / tingling. Thanks once again.

Reply to Mervyn